Saturday, February 18, 2012

Missing in Action……….

I can’t believe I haven’t posted since October.  Life has been very busy, but I continued to read, but haven’t been posting.  Reading helps me relax and relieve some stress so it was a must during this busy time.   November was busy with the holidays and getting my father in law settled in as he moved in with us.  We were able to bring my mother in law home to spend Thanksgiving with us.  Little did we know that it would be her last holiday outside of the memory care unit. 

049

Christmas came and went with the normal celebrations.  We tried to have a little Christmas party with my mother in law at the memory care unit, but it proved to be too much for her.   She started receiving hospice services on January 2nd and we tried to spend as much time as we could with her.  She passed away on January 10th.  

We are starting the find the new normal of our life.  I decided that I would go through with a scheduled surgery on February 15th.  I am now home recovering from my surgery, so have time to finally blog as my comfort allows me.  Still requiring a fair amount of rest, which gives me extra time to read. 

I will try to get to some book reviews up, but thought I would share what I have been reading the last few months and my ratings. 

October

The Stormchasers - Jenna Blum - 3/5

Empire Falls - Richard Russo - 4/5

Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris 3/5

November

Night Strangers - Chris Bajahlain - 3/5

Never Knowing - Chevy Stevens 4/5

A Redbird Christmas - Fannie Flagg - 3/5

December

Secret Daughter - Shilpi Somaya Gowda - 4/5

My Rating Scale: 1 – didn’t like it; 2 – it was ok; 3 – liked it; 4 – really liked it; 5 – it was amazing

In 2011, I read 35 books, a bit below my goal, but more books than the previous year.  You can check out the entire list of books I have read in 2011 on my website. (which sure needs a overhaul!)

Jen's Top 10 Books of 2011

Saving Max - Antoinette van Heugten - 4/5
Days of Grace - Catherine Hall - 4/5
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson - 4/5
Saving CeeCee Honeycutt - Beth Hoffman - 4/5
Kitchen House - Kathleen Grissom - 4/5
Sing you Home - Jodi Picoult - 4/5
Night Road - Kristin Hannah - 4/5
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter - Tom Franklin - 4/5
Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot - 4/5
Never Knowing - Chevy Stevens 4/5
Secret Daughter - Shilpi Somaya Gowda - 4/5

I had a hard time getting this list down to the to top 10 Books of 2011. I had many more books that I also rated 4/5 - Recommend/Good.  I was surprised that I didn’t have one 5 rated book in 2011.  I rarely give a 5 rating, but usually have at least one each year. 

BookPage, recently posted their Reader’s Choice: Best Books of 2011 and Bookpages’s Best Books on 2011 , so I have added many to my reading list for 2012. Also, I love to pick up copies of BookMarks Magazine at the library.   They also have their Best of 2011 list!   Publisher’s Weekly also has a list of Best Book of 2011.  What was your favorite book of 2011???

Looking for some great book blogs to add to your Blogroll??   I found a site with the Top 50 book blogs.  I plan to look through and add some I don’t have already!   Never enough book blogs in my life or enough books on my TBR list!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment